Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Room Service but not Room Service

http://midtownlunch.com/category/food-type/food-type-thai/
Despite being located in Manhattan's Hell's Kitchen, Room Service Thai is serving up some rather heavenly offerings. I recently delighted eating lunch at Room Service with my family while in NYC, and it was my second time partaking of their selections. I really do find the name of this New York eatery so funny, and it's for two reasons: 1.) Room Service's food is undoubtedly more pleasing to your taste buds than a room service menu, and 2.) the prices are way more pleasing to your wallet than a room service menu. Upon walking in, you get a glimpse of an obviously very trendy Manhattan hot spot:


 The bar may be the first element you notice, and it certainly is pretty noticeable:
Next, as you are being led to your table, you will notice a bright grand chandelier in a rectangular prism glass case, in the middle of the dining room:
http://globalgraphica.com/2014/01/27/cool-spaces-the-interior-at-room-service-ny/
Anyway, so you're now at your seat, and you're handed a menu. Mmmmm decisions, decisions... Curry? Fried rice? A saute dish? Noodles? Chicken? Beef? Shrimp? Pork? Spicy? Mild? Medium? Appetizer or no appetizer? Well, let's say you're going with an appetizer... Some of their most enticing are the Corn Spring Rolls (yes, there's grilled corn inside), Curry Puffs, and the Chicken Satays. My sister ordered the Chicken Satays, as they are her favorite of Thai offerings. Notice the classy presentation of the grilled chicken skewers and peanut sauce:

Alright, so now time for an entree. While I normally go with curry (perhaps milder Massaman or the slightly-spicy Panang), I also recommend the Rama chicken, which I ordered on my most recent visit. Rama chicken is basically sauteed chicken served in a peanut sauce, and Room Service serves it with lots of fresh steamed broccoli and bell pepper strips. It was such a good move ordering it, because it was sooo good. It came with steamed rice and I ordered dumplings as my side- they were delicious and green! Check out my plate, before and after:

Before:


After:
As you can see, I made it into the clean plate club! The chicken was perfectly tender and the sauce perfectly peanut-y and tangy. The broccoli was still slightly crisp and the bell pepper slices were visually appealing and added freshness to the dish. The dumplings also had a great texture and were packed with bold flavor in the form of the vegetable filling. The rice "cone" was a great complement to the saucy chicken.
I obviously have nothing to complain about: perfect ambiance and food created a swag lunch for my family and me. When next you find yourself in Manhattan, skip room service and head over to Room Service on 9th Avenue! Tell them Gevin sent you!

Room Service
690 9th Ave
New York, NY 10036
Between 47th & 48th Street
https://www.delivery.com/nyc/room-service-thai (it's the closest thing they have to a website)


No comments:

Post a Comment