Tuesday, June 19, 2012

How a Cake Changed a Hospital Room

Hey everyone,
I wanted to tell you a bit about some baking I did last week Friday. I'll start by telling you this: I am not a baking fanatic...I know many people who are, but I am not one. However, I don't at all hate baking, I just prefer cooking savory dishes. But last Friday, something funny happened to me as I sat watching TV in the our kitchen... a strange feeling came over me: I. felt. compelled. to. bake. a. cake. I actually only had about an hour and fifteen minutes until I had to leave to go with my mom to pick up my younger sister from camp. But, I felt a calling to whip up a chocolate cake. Not only that, but I began thinking about how my dad was leaving for Florida the next morning to visit my grandfather who was in the hospital. That gave me the idea to also bake a cake for him to take down for my family in Florida. I knew they would be spending a lot of time at the hospital, so I thought a cake would help spread some joy. So I baked. I baked two Mayonnaise Chocolate cakes for home, and a Sour Cream Cake for my family in Florida. Somehow I managed to get my two chocolate cakes in the oven in thirty minutes, and as soon as I got them in, I started on the next batter. Once I finished the Sour Cream Cake batter, I sprinted upstairs to freshen up, then sprinted back downstairs to the oven... My chocolate cakes had to be baked, or else that would be a problem because I couldn't leave the oven on while we were out of the house. So I stuck a toothpick in the cake, pulled it out...and it was clean! No time to celebrate; we had to go!
Later that evening when I returned, I tried the chocolate cake...YUM! I made a chocolate quick icing then dusted them with some powdered sugar. Great. I put my sour cream cake in the oven, and when it came out, I sprinkled some powdered sugar for a simple but tasty garnish. I was happy. I was so happy that I pulled off the cakes and that they tasted great, but more happy that I was going to use my food to bring happiness to those I love.
I got a call from my grandfather the next day thanking me and telling me that he was planning on having his cake and some ice cream as soon as his surgery was over...I told him to make sure he gets treated like the king he is. He certainly was: my dad called me as he was driving to the nearby supermarket to pick up some vanilla ice cream, then later my uncle sent me some pictures- from the looks of it, they had a cake party in the middle of the hospital room! That made my day...it made my day that my food made other peoples' day. I mean there were some people in the hospital room enjoying the cake whom I had never even met...talk about food bringing people together with sweet joy. It doesn't get much better than that folks.
So do something nice for the people you love today- food is a great way to start. Reply with some ideas for all of us... I'd love to hear them.
Peace and swag,
Gevin
PS: Love you Grandpa!
Update 6/24/12: Today, my grandfather, Herman Reynolds, passed away peacefully in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. We will miss him, but we will never forget the moments we spent with him during his long and beautiful life. We will miss you, Grandpa. RIP

2 comments:

  1. He loved it! We all did! Delicious!

    I am just so sorry that he never got a chance to read your blog. He would have enjoyed the shout-out. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. He really would have enjoyed reading it, but what I'm happy about is that he so enjoyed his cake and ice cream!! I'm so glad I was able to be a part of that happy memory!

    ReplyDelete